Alternate Names: Loyal Oak Lutheran Cemetery, Loyal Oak Reformed Cemetery
Established: circa 1816
Current Status: Active
Original Township: Norton
Directions: Behind Trinity Lutheran Church on the East side of Cleveland-Massillon Road just South of the intersection with Wadsworth Road (Route 261).
Contact: Trinity Lutheran Church
3281 Cleveland-Massillon Road
Norton, Ohio 44203
History: Little is known of the history of the cemetery. Trinity Lutheran Church and its immediate neighbor to the South, Grace United Church of Christ, expanded the cemetery in 1985. According to the church records, a Loyal Oak Cemetery Association was formed in 1918. According to an interview with the Church Pastor, the trustees hold the current cemetery records. In 2003, a white fence was erected as an Eagle Scout project by Troop 132 to enclose the oldest portion of the cemetery.
Chapter Publications: Gravestone inscriptions have been published in our 1978 book "Summit County Cemetery Inscriptions Vol 1". The original volume is available in the Special Collections Dept. of the Akron-Summit County Public Library (Main Branch) as well as many other local libraries.
This cemetery has now been updated and the inscription readings were released in 2009 in the "Norton Township Cemeteries" book, currently available for purchase.
The Summit County Chapter, OGS, is always looking for new information on our county's lost or forgotten cemeteries. If you have questions or information on this cemetery please contact the Cemetery Chairperson.