Alternate Names: None
Established: circa 1802
Current Status: Closed
Original Township: Norton
Directions: On the West side of Cleveland-Massillon Road just South of its intersection with Greenwich/Norton Road
Contact: Norton Park & Cemetery Board
4060 Columbia Woods Drive
Norton, Ohio 44203
History: In 1821, one and half acres were set aside to be used as a public burial ground. The cemetery is reputed to include the burials of American Indians in the Southwest corner. Several veterans of the Revolutionary War are buried here, including Hinsdale Bates, Thomas McNeal, and Henry VanHyning. The cemetery was closed to new burials in 1930. The property was fenced in 1972, and a sign was erected as an Eagle Scout project by T. Pletcher in 1988.
*This cemetery is in the process of being restored. - Summer 2012
Chapter Publications: Gravestone inscriptions have been published in our 1978 book "Summit County Cemetery Inscriptions Vol 1". The original volume is available in the Special Collections Dept. of the Akron-Summit County Public Library (Main Branch) as well as many other local libraries.
This cemetery has now been updated and the inscription readings were released in 2009 in the "Norton Township Cemeteries" book, currently available for purchase.
The Summit County Chapter, OGS, is always looking for new information on our county's lost or forgotten cemeteries. If you have questions or information on this cemetery please contact the Cemetery Chairperson.